About The Golden Pen Contest
OVERVIEW OF THE GOLDEN PEN CONTEST
The Golden Pen is an annual contest for unpublished romance fiction sponsored by The Golden Network, an online chapter of the Romance Writers of America that is comprised of current and former Golden Heart finalists. While with our contest we strive to prepare writers for the Golden Heart by emulating many of that contest’s rules and requirements, we also pride ourselves on our differences, particularly that we guarantee that each entry will be judged by at least one Golden Heart finalist. Unlike the Golden Heart, we do not require the submission of a full manuscript in addition to the partial and synopsis. We also are an all-electronic contest.
We hope to make the entry and judging process easy for you. Please read all of the information on this website and direct any questions about the Golden Pen contest to the Overall Coordinator.
2013 FINAL-ROUND JUDGES
- Contemporary Single Title Romance – Deb Werksman, Sourcebooks
- Inspirational Romance – Melissa Endlich, Love Inspired
- Paranormal Romance – Leis Pederson, Berkley Publishing Group
- Romantic Suspense – Elizabeth Poteet, St. Martin’s Press
- Series Romance– Susan Litman, Harlequin Enterprises
- Historical Romance– Katherine Pelz, Berkley Publishing Group
- Young Adult Romance – Regina Griffin, EgmontUSA
- First place in each category: a golden pen, a certificate.
- Second and Third place in each category: a certificate.
- Final placements will be announced in the Romance Writers Report.
- $35 per entry received on or before midnight EDT July 15.
- $40 per entry received on or before midnight EDT August 15.
- $5 judging discount for any entrant who is also a first-round judge in a different category.
- June 1: Contest opens to submissions.
- July 15: Early-bird entry submission deadline at midnight EDT.
- August 15: Entry submission and PayPal payment deadline at midnight EDT.
- August 22: Payments by check must be received on or before this date.
- October 1: All finalists notified of status.
- October 10: Finalists have the opportunity to revise their entries before final-round judging begins.
Finalists will be instructed to submit their final-round entries to the Overall Coordinator before
midnight EDT on October 10.
- October 10: All non-finaling entries will be returned on or before this date to allow entrants time
for revision before the Golden Heart deadline.
- Mid-December: Final-round placements will be announced.
Enter the Golden Pen
Read the Rules